Why Do You Hate This? Skyler White

Spenser Milo August 8, 2012 51
Why Do You Hate This? Skyler White

Why Do You Hate This? Skyler White

A character must be absolutely terrible if they’re the most hated character on a show where meth is being made, destroying lives is overlooked (along with murdering innocent people), and everyone manipulates everyone else. Skyler White falls into the “Most Hated Character on a Show” category, but for absolutely no reason other than “She doesn’t like the murdering, manipulating, and meth cooking husband!” She’s not even sided with or understood, she’s completely hated.

Granted, Breaking Bad doesn’t have many characters that abide the law and are morally sound (Holly is probably the only character who hasn’t done anything wrong yet, but she’s just an infant), so for Skyler to get more hate than anyone who is legitimately killing other people and not caring much about it is just flabbergasting. It’s understandable that the audience just wants to side with Walter White, her husband, because he is the main character after all and that’s just what audiences are used to. Nobody rooted for Darth Vader against Luke Skywalker and nobody rooted for Voldemort against Harry Potter, and that’s what makes Breaking Bad so different today. It goes against that formulaic storytelling.

Now the show certainly isn’t the first to have an anti-hero as a main character, and Skyler isn’t the first wife to get unfathomable hate for going against their actually-horrible-husbands. Carmela Soprano was hated exponentially for disagreeing with her mob boss husband Tony Soprano, and that’s the closest comparison one can make for Skyler vs. Walter. Walter has actually killed people, he’s poisoned an innocent child, he’s made bombs to go off in a nursing home, he’s ordered his partner Jesse to kill an innocent man, he illegally makes meth that destroys thousands of lives, creates an abusive relationship with Skyler, and he even blames himself for two planes colliding mid-air. Yet his wife Skyler is hated because of what? She gave him veggie bacon on his 50th birthday and doesn’t like being lied to about Walter’s illegal activity?

“That’s not all she’s done,” said the hateful fans “She cheated on Walter! What a BITCH.” Well, no, she didn’t cheat on him. They were separated at the time so that argument is invalid. But if, for some reason, the audience doesn’t agree with that fact then how about agreeing on disliking Walter for manipulating Jesse, the most loved character on the show?
For an audience that hates Skyler so much and loves Jesse so much, it doesn’t make sense considering that Walter has put Jesse through so much Hell and poor Jesse doesn’t even see it. Whenever he gets close to viewing the real Walter White, he’s lied to again. With that in mind, wouldn’t the Jesse-lovers enjoy Skyler’s standing up against her husband because of the shit he’s done to Jesse? Wouldn’t that actually make some sense to side with someone who has a point?

Skyler White is the audience surrogate, quite honestly. She asks questions the audience is asking and is the voice of logic. All she’s doing is trying to protect her family from the danger (pun-intended) that Walter has put them in. She can’t go to the police or talk to anyone about her situation. She’s trapped.
This article could have gone into a sexism talk, or about how the audience is watching Breaking Bad for the crime show, not the family show, but Breaking Bad speaks for itself so the facts are all laid out. There’s nothing that Skyler is doing that is unwarranted and not understandable. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with liking Walter as a character, but one most keep in mind that he’s a sociopath and is not coming back. Since season three, the situation has changed drastically and so has Walter. Skyler doesn’t recognize the man she married anymore, and it’s only going to get worse from here on out.

JustTV wrote a very detailed, very well written article on Skyler’s Story overall. I would recommend a read.

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (+UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]

51 Comments »

1. JohnF October 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM - Reply

I hate Skyler for many reasons. Not only did she cheat on Walt (they were not LEGALLY separated), she did it purely for revenge to hurt him. It was not that she is in love with Ted, it was a ploy to use against Walt.

Second, she is the biggest hypocrite. I understand that she didn’t like being lied to, but he told her that he was trying to protect her and the family, which in itself is reason enough to keep her uninformed in his dangerous and illegal activies. But then when she needs his filthy drug money, she has no problem throwing it around. “Sure, Hank can have all he needs. Sure, Ted can have $620,000!” She’s even more of a hypocrite because Ted was engaging in tax fraud and she poo-pooed it but ultimately went along with it, and then just gave him all the money to fix his problems.

She involves herself in Walt’s money laundering, and then constantly throws it in his face, like he’s forcing her to be his “partner in crime”. He never wanted her to be involved at all!! Like he said in the show, the less she knew, the better the argument of plausible deniability.

I totally get that Walt has changed. His ego took over, he’s not satisfied with just providing a large chunk of money for the family, etc, etc.. But through it all, he still loves Skyler and his family. He even said he forgave her for the crap with Ted. I totally believe he would do anything for them. I even believe he would’ve quit all the meth crap if Skyler hadn’t push him away and helped turn him into the “monster” that everyone is so quick to see in him. A wife’s love (or lack thereof) can go a long way in determining a man’s overall attitudes and behaviors. Not to mention the fact that his family was the only thing he had to live for, and she took it all away. He’s a loving and attentive father, and for 16 years was a loving and committed/attentive husband. The second he started going through a hard time, and admittedly, doing bad things, she dropped him like nothing and ripped his family out of his grasp. He even says in the show, that now that his family is lost to him, all he has left is the business.

So yes, I truly hate her and hope she either has a sudden and sincere change of heart, or…DIES.

2. Dingo December 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM - Reply

I completely agree with JohnF’s reasons for hating her. But, on top of those, I hate her for a much more basic reason. She slows the show down. Her character actively takes away from the show. She’s the Jar Jar of Breaking Bad.

3. jbv December 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM - Reply

ARE YOU RETARDED SPENSER? THAT IS NOT THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE HATE HER. SHE IS A HUGE SELF SERVING HYPOCRITICAL TWO FACED SELFISH DUMB LYING CHEATING WHINING BACK STABBING ASSHOLE. AND THAT’S PUTTING IT MILDLY.

• Spenser Milo December 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM - Reply

I’d use the same adjectives (save “cheating”) to describe Walt. Hm.

4. jake December 13, 2012 at 4:42 AM - Reply

Yes, Walt is a horrible person now. However, when he started everything, it was out of love for his family. Skyler’s ungrateful attitude and childish behavior is what drove him to madness, and for thay, i hate her most of all.

• Torgo June 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM - Reply

Not everyone agrees with this point of view. From the beginning of the show I have never bought Walter White’s motivation as family oriented, and the show went out of it’s way to give Walter other options. Remember in the first season when his friend offered to pay for the bills? Remember that little lie? That was all about his pride and nothing else, and so is the drug thing. Nothing Skyler has ever done is as bad as that, not even close.

5. Chris Maltera December 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM - Reply

I don’t understand why it isn’t crystal clear why many people (mostly men) don’t like Skyler.

She is extremely bossy, disrespectful (to the point of having sex with another man) and blind to

Walt’s world while he never mistreated her once. The only thing he did is lie, but any

reasonable person could understand why he did that. He has done bad things to other people but

for Skylar and his family he has shown nothing but immense love.

At the same time Skyler is so self-absorbed she cannot even try to see things from his

perspective. No, instead she kicks him out of his own house to live in a lonely apartment while

she gets to live in his house with his kids and has sex with someone else. The fact he has to

break in in his own house is ridiculous to start with but no, Skyler is shocked when he does

that. How could he be so disrespectful to ME?!?!?

Knowing all this, isn’t it extremely easy to understand why people don’t like her?

6. Juky January 18, 2013 at 4:59 AM - Reply

I love Skyler. She`s beautiful and strong – fighting like a lion for the kids. Walter is the cheater. He actually “prostituted” himself for money: He lied to his beloved family, he made them worry, he cheats on his partner jessy, he kills people. For what? Money… how cheap is that…

• TBH January 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM - Reply

When you have cancer (and you just have a few months at best) and you have no clue as to how your family is going to make their living after you are gone, any underachieving person will go through exactly what Walter went through. He found a way to make things good for his family – an illegal way, a way that hurt a lot of people – but this was a man obsessed with his family and all he wanted to do was for them. Cheap! Cheap! Honestly, do you have even have kids?

• Spenser Milo January 28, 2013 at 1:34 AM - Reply

They’re Skyler’s kids too, you know.

• Torgo June 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM - Reply

Walter was offered the money from a friend, remember? He lied about it.

Also, remember that ever since he entered the drug gang, he put his whole family (including Skyler) in mortal peril. And he knew it too.

• Mike August 13, 2013 at 6:05 AM - Reply

“Walter was offered the money from a friend, remember? He lied about it.”

Haven’t you been paying attention to the show? There was bad history between Walt and those “friends”. Now you expect him to just take their money?

• Taylor September 30, 2013 at 10:42 PM - Reply

I hate her because she’s a hypocrite. If she’s so hell-bent on protecting her kids, why does she smoke during pregnancy? Not to mention all the other reasons listed by others.

• Taylor September 30, 2013 at 10:50 PM - Reply

And before someone says I’m being sexist, let me make it very clear that I am a female. I still don’t condone Skyler’s actions. Not that I like Walt, either, but Jesus God, Skyler was a bitch from the start.

7. =___= February 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM - Reply

I’ve just finished 4.10 and I was almost crying. I still don’t understand WHY Walter is still sticking around her… So, my energy now needs an outburst and hereby I’m listing the reasons why I hate Skyler White.

1) First and foremost – I won’t start describing what a bitch she is. I’ll just state that she’s the biggest failure of the whole show in terms of being realistic. I absolutely adore the two main characters, with all their countless flaws and mistakes – because that’s what makes them so real, so true, so deep. But I could never really understand how the same people who invented White and Pinkman could come up with something so absurd as Skyler – since she’s absolutely what is called Mary-Sue, or an ivincible and impeccable superwoman. Just have a look at her story from the beginning:
    – The woman is unemployed, pregnant, having a disabled son and thousands of dollars of debt. She learns her husband is dying from cancer. After a while, she starts to suspect him of something more. And what are her actions?
    – Just a month before giving birth, she DIVORCES her dying husband who’s basically the only income source now, and goes to her old JOB. Then she has a baby, and in a couple of (weeks?) she gets back to working fulltime, while settling down all the matters with her drug-dealing husband by going round everywhere with this newborn daughter, who NEVER ever cries, gets ill, have stomach problems – come on, ANYONE who’d ever dealt with a baby knows how damn difficult it is! So, basically we assume that while working, having sex with her boss and staying impeccably well-groomed, the woman is also a perfect mom – no after-birth depression or whatever it’s called, no falling out of her schedule – nothing. And THEN this truly super-powered woman buys a CARWASH – a totally new business for her, and, as far as we see, she’s THE ONLY one in charge of it (Walter always hanging out in the lab). So, besides charming every man she meets, Skyler is a perfect mom for two kids, one of them being a disabled teenager and another one a newborn, a great professional accountant, AND a perfect businesswoman who manages the whole thing while working there a couple of hours a day as a (attention please) CASHIER. And during all this time,while learning such horrible things about her husband, taking care of children, working on two jobs and getting involved in love affairs, this incredible woman NEVER dropped a tear, never appeared on the screen with her hair unbrushed, never felt tired or sleepy or hungry or unprepared for something – NOT A SINGLE failure.

All I can conclude is that she’s either a robot or an alien. Or a ridiculously undeveloped scriptwriter’s mistake.

2) Well, after explaining my first and foremost reason for hating Skyler, I move to my own personal opinion about her. Honestly, I so wanted her killed the moment she told Walter she gave all the money to Ted. JUST LOOK at the situation. Walter is risking his life, ready to be killed any minute, trapped in this horrible business (the fact that it is his own fault is widely known and accepted by me, but it does not justifies Skyler’s following actions), and his wife just takes ALL the money he’s earned (or at least the biggest part of it) and gives it to her fraudy boss/ex-lover WITHOUT EVEN TELLING HIM! Now people, tell me, could you ever picture yourself doing that? What a complete, unconscious, innate bitchiness should there be! Walt was making this money for kids to grow up, go to college, whatever – and now she just gives it all AWAY, and not just gives, but MAKES Ted accept it – of course, by reffering to allmighty Saul (what an underestimated character! Really, how long will he be saving everyone´s a**es and still be treated as a clown?).

Really. I can understand Walt. I can understand Jesse. I can understand Hank. Come on, to some extent I can even undertsand Marie (although I still don’t understand the very reason for her presense in the show). But I will never ever understand Skyler.

8. intelart February 21, 2013 at 2:46 AM - Reply

okay, is everybody conveniently forgetting that walt tried to rape skyler in season 2? No one seems to be mentioning that, and that’s troubling.

9. TDanger19 March 1, 2013 at 4:34 AM - Reply

I just started watching the show on Netflix, and I gotta say: From the moment I saw Skyler, it was painfully obvious that Walt’s married life had to suck. She was constantly nagging, highly controlling, self-absorbed and seemingly very bitchy and uptight. Also, as I learned more, I found out that she cheated on Walter with Ted, even before she went back to the bookkeeping job. Furthermore, she has no problem spending all the illegal money Walt is piling up, even while berating and insulting him for putting their family at risk. Even the way she reacted to his diagnosis was the worst possible way one could act in that situation. Instead of respecting the fact that he had no desire to be weak and sickly before the end (keep in mind, even with treatment, he was expected to only live another year or two at best – which dovetails with the future episode at the beginning of the season) She only thought of herself, and not the man she claims to love.

What a bitch.

• TDanger19 March 1, 2013 at 4:47 AM - Reply

Before someone comments on this, I’d like to clarify something: I’m not rooting for Walter White. I personally feel the character is totally irredeemable and has done despicable things, and I don’t condone any of them.

10. Fred jesus March 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM - Reply

She is really unattractive . That is why I can’t stand her

11. Sam March 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM - Reply

While I can definitely understand a few of the reasons that Skyler is hated, I am also baffled as to why the hate is so widespread and intense. To use the cheating excuse is lame, as people cheat all the time on TV, and they aren’t so reviled. Unless, of course, it’s worse because she’s a woman? Hmm.

As far as her supposed hypocrisy because she spends the money, everything she’s spent the money on has been for her family (her reasons for giving Ted the money were not to save Ted, but to save her own family from the scrutiny of an IRS investigation).

And no, Walt never wanted Sky to be his “partner in crime,” but her goal, again, was to protect her family. She saw how things could go wrong the way things were going, and she used her expertise to help. And yes, she’s pissed at Walt for everything. But it’s not just the cooking meth, it’s the lying and putting the family in danger. I can’t fault her for that.

I think what’s most important to realize here is just how little time has passed. We’re in the fifth season, and it’s only a little been about a year since the first episode. So many of Sky’s responses have been reactionary, and she’s still dealing with a lot. We’ve had time to process things; she hasn’t.

I’m not 100% convinced that the reason for the near universal hatred of Skyler is gender-based (for the record, I’m a man), but I strongly suspect it is. I’m wondering how all this would play out if the roles were reversed. It’s a shame there’s no way of knowing.

• Torgo June 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM - Reply

Don Draper, for example, is loved for his extramarital escapades.

• Keenan August 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM - Reply

What everyone forgets about Walter White, and Don Draper since you mentioned it, is the extreme irony in these shows. Yes we know that Don Draper and WW are extremely flawed and given this information the actions of the tv wives is understandable. However, the TV wives DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEIR HUSBANDS ARE DOING. I have no problems with the actions that any of the characters take when they are privy to the information of the show, but go back and watch seasons 1-3 and remember that skylar is suspicious, learns walt has cancer, and then is still terrible. Did we all forget about the part where she went and smoked in her car multiple times while pregnant, you want to talk about protecting families lets bring that piece in. She was suspicious that he had a second phone, he told her he didn’t (he was lying but that was beside the point), if she had accepted his answer than I would point to his actions and say yeah Walter is worse. But she responds with further assault, and her methods of attack are also infuriating. Yes if she was interacting with walt white the drug dealer than her actions are understandable, but she isn’t (at least not early in the series) she’s interacting with walt white, the cancer stricken high school science teacher and husband. Her interactions with this walt white are what make me hate her as a character

• Keenan August 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM - Reply

Go watch orange is the new black, granted she wasn’t a drug mule at the time of her arrest but the male character reacted in a much more reasonable manner to this realization. It’s not a perfect analogy to Breaking Bad but it is a pretty accurate juxtaposition to Betty’s realization about Don in Early Madman.

12. Sam March 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM - Reply

One other thing I forgot to mention–Walter is repugnant. I love the show, but Walter ain’t no nice guy. His reasons in the beginning for cooking meth may have been altruistic. A few of his decisions in the beginning were questionable, but he was still arguably acting with this family’s best interests at heart. But anyone who things that is his motive to keep this business going is deluding himself. It’s not about keeping his family in money; it’s not about the money at all. Walter’s only reason to keep cooking is his to inflate his ego. He knows he’s a great cook, and he thinks he’s smart enough to keep everything in line (even though it’s proven in virtually every episode that he cannot). He keeps cooking to prove this.

13. Clumpy March 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM - Reply

If the genders were reversed, everybody would start magically noticing the following in order to hate the (now female) version of Walt:

* Attempted sexual assault in the kitchen

* Hitting on his boss (the principal) with the intent of cheating

* Not communicating for weeks, alternatingly glowering uncommunicatively and lying the moment you might face some actual consequences. Seriously, if Skyler lied to Walt for weeks while getting her family in trouble with the mob, we’d never hear the end of it.

* Refusing to accept financial help for his treatment which could have avoided much of the need to deal drugs in the first place (Walt also has all sorts of situations in which he could give up having made the money he needed, and in which he continues because of his ego. He also makes himself a target for the DEA again because he can’t stand Gale getting the attention)

* Getting involved (as I said earlier) with the mob and all sorts of murderous characters, and really making very little precaution to actually protect the family he supposedly loves so much

Seriously, anybody who identifies with Walt is absolutely missing the point – here’s a man who’s largely incapable of self-examination, incredibly thoughtless and insensitive in his interactions with others, defined almost entirely by deception. But Skyler cheats on him during a time in which they’re separated, questions his horrible decisions and withdrawnedness, and smoked a couple of cigarettes, so she’s a “bitch.” Right. And after she decides to help him, everybody hates her FOR doing it, even though she’d be culpable for keeping the money anyway and is just trying to help her family in the exact same way that Walt is, but in a way that actually doesn’t put them into any further danger. The main mistake Skyler makes is not turning Walt in the moment she finds out what he’s doing. God help any female character in a TV show given the tide they have to push against if they don’t fulfill the same function as walking, talking sex dolls with no personality or strength of their own.

• Keenan August 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM - Reply

why can’t we dislike both skylar and Walter? True I think walt is a better character but as people they are similar and Walt is probably worse. We’re in a show, if they had changed Weeds so that she were hiding her actions from the male characters I would have sided with her just as much as I side with Walt

14. maaday March 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM - Reply

I fucking hate skyler white. I mean can she not be more of an understanding person. Stick it the fuck up skyler. If i were married, no im not saying i am, but if i were married with a husband who has cancer and found out he was cooking meth so that he was able to support my kids and I? i would be a little understanding. I wouldn’t make his life hell, especially for the sake of my kids, I’d push the whole drug thought out of my mind until he would, sadly pass away. Skyler White is a class A bitch, i mean sleeping with beneke and teling him she did to his face. That is so loww of her. SKYLER WHITE, YOU ARE MY MOST HATED CHARACTER OUT OF ANY TV SERIES OR MOVIE.

15. jesse March 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM - Reply

I can’t stand Skyler…
    I think everyone else just about summed everything up in the other comments… cheating, being self absorbed and refusing to consider Walt’s situation etc.
    What makes me dislike her most is her irrational fears. Maybe its because she reminds me of my ex who ended a long term relationship to leave for greener pastures. She separated me from my family (two beautiful puppies) systematically before ending the relationship… knowing full well that she would have more leverage with them out of the picture. (hilarious comparison right?)

Sure, she does have some cause for concern but her fears are irrational and it’s because she refuses to ask questions or try to understand the reality of the situation. She works on pure emotion… and it drives me insane. To her Walt is extremely dangerous for the family, which could not be further from the truth. She allowed her fear and insecurity to change her view of her husband to something a million times worse than it should have been. In fact she embraced that fear… rather than remembering her commitment to her husband and talking things through.

16. jesse March 31, 2013 at 8:56 PM - Reply

waiting for “the cancer to come back”
    “I will count every moment that the children are away from you a victory”
    Urgh!

17. Megan April 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM - Reply

She’s a hypocrite. She hates how her husband illegally makes money, yet she has no problem having an adulterous fair (yes it is cheating, they are still legally married) with a man who is stealing money from his company. How does she justify between the two?

18. CommonSenseAndReason April 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM - Reply

I had to chime in on this, i’m in the middle of Season 3, so i won’t comment much on future episodes, but i will list the obvious reasons why Skylar is the villain of the show. Very simple.
    1.) Hypocrisy

2.) Inconsiderate

3.) Selfish

4.) Condescending

5.) Unfaithful

6.) BackStabbing

7.) Insensitive(implied)

8.) Untrustworthy(when your husband doesnt trust you enough to tell you he cooks Meth, its a Reason, and any Right minded person wouldve done some self reflecting to try and see why)

9.) Nagger(yes i put that there simply because, anybody should know how irritating it is to have someone always monitoring and questioning you and your decisions, especially if its someone thats suppose to support them)

10.) Shallow(much like her sister)

11.) etc etc.

Now, granted, Walt is no angel, but his decisions are based on reason, not emotional ignorance and unavailability. If anyone wants to create a statement discrediting Walt’s behavior, i guarantee, i can create 1 to justify it, now Skyler on the other hand? I can not justify intentional ignorance. Skyler is probably the biggest cancer to walt the entire show, Hell i liked Jesse’s parents, the two junkies who robbed Pete, even the F***ing Psycho Tuco more then i like her, she makes me not even want to watch thew show at times, just due to how disgusting and careless she is with her supposed loved 1s. its appalling how anyone could defend her or see her as anything but a villain of the show. its clear to me when a writer has a wife walk over to her husband, who has cancer and has been struggling to get her approval, and tells him she F***ed her boss(with his newborn child with her, and the considering Ted was there to deliver the baby, and that they had a previous relationship) its clear the writers intend for her to be a villain. you can disagree all you want, but no matter what argument you have, i guarentee you would not say, i f***ed Ted to a man that could die any day, that sentence alone could drive a man to insanity. i’m so disturbed i dont even want to watch the next episode, lol but seriously, thats the most cold hearted thing you can do to a man. And Walt has done nothing intentionally to hurt her. Anyways, my rant is over,

19. Clumpy April 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM - Reply

Eh, I’m never going to have a common ground with you people. It’s like you aren’t even watching the same show that I am, or the same show that Vince describes in interviews. If the worst thing you can imagine is “cheating” on a guy who you’ve separated with because of his endangerment of your family and serial dishonesty, but who refuses to take no for an answer and leave you out of it, then I don’t know what to say. Walt had multiple attempts to get out without subjecting his family to this nonsense – accepting the job offer and medical care from Gretchen and Elliott, taking the half million and leaving at the end of Season 2, and frankly not leaving Gray Matter in a huff because of his own ego as it’s implied happened – but his ego pushed him back in every time. His family was nearly killed several times by sociopathic murderers, and Skyler’s the bad guy? Right. Walt glowers around the house for two seasons, only “communicates” when making up stories to explain his behavior, only makes the slightest effort to try to smooth things over and come clean when his lies finally catch up to him, and Skyler’s the one making life hard for him. Right. This argument has all the subtlety of yelling “bitch!” at your mom for taking the Xbox away for a few days after you set fire to the garage.

• Waldorff July 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM - Reply

What I find odd is that those who support Skyler against the ‘I hate Skyler camp’ seem to quote “She cheated with Ted” as the only reason that ‘I hate Skyler camp’ gives. Where as they seem to list many many others.

Someone said:
      “This argument has all the subtlety of yelling “bitch!” at your mom for taking the Xbox away for a few days after you set fire to the garage.”
      But that’s not really accurate, it’s more like calling your Mum a bitch for taking everything you own away after you set fire to garage for insurance purposes (and getting away with it) to help pay your family’s debt, then your Mum spends all your ill gotten gains on her own thing which only benefits her.

Anyway, I don’t like Walter either, in the same way I don’t like Skyler. She is hypocritical, selfish, controlling and bitchy; but he is arrogant, egotistical, blame passing and a liar. (I chose negative qualities that have no benefit ie. I missed off murdering since he did that in self defence). However Walt and other immoral characters are at least interesting to watch, all Skyler seems to do is be a delaying obstacle used as a plot device.

Oddly just thinking about it a lot of the female characters share the exact same qualities as Skyler, and a lot of the male characters share the same qualities as Walt… and the writers say the haters are sexist; talk about gender stereotyping! ‘Oh you don’t like a female character that I wrote, that must mean your a misogynist who just hates women in general’, actually no, I would hate your intensely annoying character because they are intensely annoying regardless of gender – the fact that the writers even suggest that people hate her because she is a women is itself misogynistic.

I mean going back to gender stereotypes why are the genders in the show the genders that they are exactly? Couldn’t Hank be a kleptomaniac, attention stealing husband, while Marie was an insensitive, dickish wife? It’s not much of a stretch, I know people like that in real life. Hell, dare I say that Walt could have been a female chemistry teacher who was almost universally considered a bad ass by viewers and Skyler be a cheating, condescending nagging man who was almost universally hated?

I think I’d actually prefer that show to be honest, I’ve just finished season 2 and don’t really see any reason or incentive to keep watching. Does it get better?

• Keenan August 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM - Reply

Thank You! I hate the statement that hating Skylar is sexist so much. If you don’t want the women to be hated then don’t write the women as the supporting character who only serves as the roadblock for the plot when they’re trying to stretch out a conflict for a few more episodes. Mary-Louise Parker was the female Walter White in Weeds and she was one of the most beloved characters in my mind. Woman or not if you behave like Skylar I’m going to dislike the character as a character in the show and as a hypothetical person

20. Me May 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM - Reply

I think it is funny that fans of this show get so worked up about skyler’s character and voice their hate as if she were a real life person and not a t.v character. Vince gilligen who created b.b stated himself that skylers actions are valid due to what he put her through and defends her actions in b.b. I think fans dislike her because Walter white’s character is so loved and sympathized by the audience since Cranston does such a amazing job captivating his audience emotionally no matter if his actions are wrong or right. Even though he is almost emotionless by the end of season 5 part one, most people still perceive him as a innocent person no matter how many people he hurt, lied to or killed! Also, the show is mostly showed by walters point of view, so us viewers understand his motives and emotions firsthand. I think that has a majority to do with why people hate skyler white. The audience was told the whole breaking bad story mostly through walter white’s point of view and the audience hates skyler since she doesn’t see, get his p.o.v all the way. I would bet if this show was told through skyler whites eyes, there would be more sympathy……but the show would be very boring!!!!!

21. Me May 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM - Reply

P.s I agree clumpy! I read your comment after posting mine. Please read mine and see if you agree with me on why maybe the audience hates skyler white so much.

22. JaBa June 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM - Reply

Why does everyone exonerate her with “her husband is cooking meth and killing people,” ? I don’t understand that. She only finds out in the beginning of seasons 3 I think. No Skyler defender pays attention to her behaviour prior to that. She always wants to know where Walt is and what he is doing. She pries into his private life without any right to. And before you say anything about their being married, shut up. Marriage is not a prison. We get rid of our parents’ nagging and prying while we’re growing up, we don’t need that when we grow up. Marriage is a community where people are allowed to have privacy. If he wants 2 phones or 10 phones, he should have those phones. She has no right to ask questions about that. Privacy people. We spent our childhood telling our parents to get out of our room and let us live our lives our own way, and we don’t need surveillance from our partners.

And calling people who hate Skyler mysoginistic is quite understandable. She has those main execrable female characteristics that most women possess, so if you hate one woman for those awful characteristics, then yes, you probably hate a big chunk of female population.

Marriage is not a prison. It became a prison after men allowed women to take up the role of jailor.

23. DONNA June 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM - Reply

I dislike the character of Skyler for the following reasons.

1. Separated is not divorced. So she cheated with Ted.

2. She preaches (correctly) about the dangers of Walt’s shinanigans, but gives the IRS $620K to save her own tail.

3. I don’t like women who treat their husbands like children. Hunting down & scolding Pinkman for “selling” pot to Walt. Scolding Walt for using a credit card for a $15.00 purchase. She is a person who has to be in control of everything & everyone. The main reason she does not like being left out of the loop.

4. Emotional Blackmail – Can’t even reasonably consider Walt’s POV on not having treatment. Yell at everyone, and then hold back on affections.

24. Jack June 21, 2013 at 3:17 AM - Reply

How about the time Jesse ate dinner with them, and she was a snobby little bitch?

25. sukibus June 21, 2013 at 8:43 PM - Reply

Skyler lies just as much as Walt does- she actually surpasses him!

She has the cheek to go over to Jesse’s place (first season), has a huge go at him for selling weed to her husband and when he tries to usher her out she’s all like, “watch my bump! don’t touch me!”

I’m currently watching the “Open House” episode, and the way she always tries to take charge and make decisions for Walt is really vexatious. Also, she has never tried to be understanding of Walt’s feelings/situation- never asked him how he felt with regards to his cancer in the first season.

I actually do believe that Walt was ready to give up his “NO. 1 Meth Cook” title when Skyler booted him out of the house. Also in that fly episode, Walt spoke about his perfect time to have died (before meeting Jane’s dad) which reflects that he really did think that he was going to die and he really wanted to do something for his family before he went. Remember, Skyler was not working at the start, money was always tight and enough money to ensure the comfort of his two children.

“Oh, she’s protecting her family!” Bullshit! If that was the case, then why is she helping her evil husband lauder his blood stained money? Does she really think that Hank would accept that money if he knew that it was from Heisenberg?!

Last but not least- “Go to the police! Turn yourself in!” (Open House). Does she ever reflect on her own actions??

Oops forgot to mention, Jesse also manipulates Walt. Jesse has lied to Walt on numerous occasions, ratted Walt’s home address to Tuco and also tried to persuade Walt to help him kill those 2 drug dealers. Jesse was also prepared to leave Walt for Jane and even tried to blackmail him at one point.

26. Money June 29, 2013 at 5:02 AM - Reply

She’s terrible and much more sociopathic than even Walt. I scramble for the mute button every time she’s on, since she’s so boring and annoying. And this has nothing to do with gender. Walt sucks as a person too, but at least he’s a good actor and his character has at least some intricacies.

Don’t blame males for hating Skyler while not as much hating Walt. Blame the writiers for making Skyler an unbelievable one-note bitch.

27. Jorn August 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM - Reply

People criticize her for having affair but seem to forget she did so after Walt left the family and stopped communicating with her (e.g. they were separated). Furthermore, Walt tried to have an affair with the school’s principle. Yet I haven’t heard a single person criticize her for it.

• Mike August 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM - Reply

“Furthermore, Walt tried to have an affair with the school’s principle.”

Try to recall when Walt tried to put on his moves on the principal. Try real hard.

Give up? This happened after Skyler told him that she f*cked Ted. This was after Walt went to Beneke’s office and caused a scene.

Do you remember why Walt threw the huge plant pot at the window? Because he was seething that his wife slept with her boss.

And tell me, can you easily communicate what happened to if you had just baked meth and choked someone to death? Really?

But make no mistake, I LOVE Skyler as a character and narrative device. She’s so awesome to hate.

• Jordan222 August 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM - Reply

He tried to kiss her AFTER Skylar threw what she did in his face. She was mad so she fucks some guy then tells Walt to make him angry / jealous and she also played with the other guys emotions too.

28. Jordan222 August 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM - Reply

A lot of people hate Skylar White for a lot of reasons……I mean A LOT of people. I like strong female characters but not the kind of woman character that has to kick a guy in the nuts to win a fight, so many writers, to make a female character strong, seem to need her to emasculate the guy she’s in conflict with. We’re gender equal now, women can pay for dinner, lead while dancing and , if need be, break a guys nose. In this case I don’t hate Skylar White for breaking down Walt with insistent bitching and whining and whining and whining ect. I HATE her for being such a huge hypocrite!!!! And it seems everyone agrees with me. JohnF really said it she cheats for spite, hates the money she gives away like candy, helps with tax fraud then when things don’t go her way cripples the guy ( inadvertent or not ), cheats a guy out of his car wash and ( enjoyed it ) all while complaining, complaining, complaining about horrible Walt and his evil money. Basically one word describes her HYPOCRITE two if you count the “fucking”

29. Pootle September 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM - Reply

Interesting comments. I think on the whole, Skyler is simply a character you can’t get behind. She’s cold and controlling, lacking in any human warmth or tenderness from the very beginning; long before she becomes suspicious of Walt’s extra curricular activities. Walt we warm to from the start, he’s an innocuous fool, under the thumb of an emotionally frigid, domineering wife who he’s desperate to please. While Walt goes downhill morally he has already earned the audiences empathy, Skyler just never redeems herself as far as the audience is concerns, she never demonstrates compassion or real affection for Walt, she expresses no humour or kindness throughout the series. So while her own criminal and immoral actions in the context of the programme are not *major* evils – like taking all of Walt’s money to conceal her criminal behaviour at her job, telling Walt to kill Jessie, screwing her boss to hurt Walt, sending the heavies round to Ted’s place to terrorise him into sending the cheque, decieving the car-wash owner into lowering his price – and so-on, unlike Walt, we simply don’t like her enough to empathise and forgive her.

30. Maunz October 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM - Reply

I don’t hate Skyler (come on, she’s a TV-character!) but she really really is super annoying. I think she’s supposed to come over as strong, smart and of high moral standards but she’s quite the opposite. And seriously, noone needs to take a deeeeep breath before every single thing they say or do!

31. Bill October 16, 2013 at 3:19 AM - Reply

We live in a time where most have become unconscious of the true feminine…one that honors and supports her man. Skylar reflects the stance of most modern women in this culture, and that is that they have greater strength in the collective moral fiber than the outside the box momentum away from this that her husband generates. There is nothing really wrong with anything that he does, it is only percieved as wrong. We see that she never truly loves him, and that is what makes her so hateable. She is the archetype of the modern woman that is programmed to keep man an assembly product rather than exploring what he can truly be…rather than as Walt put it, becoming awake…feeling alive

32. Mia February 20, 2014 at 4:30 AM - Reply

Do the dumb idiots on here not think that a woman has a right to end a relationship? She served him with DIVORCE PAPERS – she was NOT with him when her and Ted got together. Walt had treated her awfully so it was not surprising that she didn’t want to be with him anymore. She did not cheat, and even if she had, is that worse than murder, cooking meth, poisoning children etc? Men don’t like her because she’s a strong women who didn’t just roll over to Walt like a good little girl.

33. Turtle April 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM - Reply

If you guys hated Skylar, then you would’ve REALLY hated me if I had been in her situation.

I would’ve dumped his ass, taken the children and fled ABQ IMMEDIATELY.

Wow, all you guys suffering from small d*ck syndrome worrying that a wife is emasculating her murdering, drug-manufacturing husband.

Incredible.